Wednesday, May 23, 2007

all things tangible

Why must we account for all our moments spent? They are all meaningful. Why must we feel less of a human being if we have not a degree or a blackberry in our possession? Why must we feel less of a mother if we have not signed our kids up for every possible team you could imagine? Why must we feel less of a friend if we have cannot buy lavish gifts or restaurant outings? Why must we feel less of a partner if the house is not kept up, dinners are not planned well in advance or romantic gestures are put on the back burner sometimes?

I have spoken to various women in my life about their sense of purpose and their outlook on their own life signature. Most feel they are scrambling to find meaning and others feel there is something missing but just can't figure out what that is.

Things are measured by all things tangible. That is, what do you have to show for your time or your money?

Most of us seldom realize if we removed that from the equation, our hearts would feel more at ease. Our sense of selves would feel more sturdy. Think of all the things you can fit into your day? We often spend time doing things under the surface. We try to think of ways to celebrate people we love, we try to be better people (which in itself is VERY time consuming) and we try to do for others often. This is not a martyr approach but it is reality if you are anything close to being a woman. It is in all of us whether we are mothers to children or not.

I may pick up a hobby along the way but it will always have to be the activity that comes after everything else.

I will still feel that in the end, I have spent my time well.

1 comment:

Anne said...

My Dear Laura

One of the best things that I read when Laurel was a tiny baby, was that "Your child will not drown in a wet diaper, or starve while you finish your dinner". I have always tried to be my own person. I love being a mom, but let's face it, being known as Laurel, Krystal, Aubrey, Shawn and or Carrie's mom and not Anne leaves a little to be desired after 36 years. I am ME. Anne Marie Asselin Whalen Croley - a person in my own right. This is what every woman in her right mind should be. Yes you are a mom, a wife, a daughter, etc, etc, etc. But most of all you are your own person!!! Do what feels right to you. Don't worry about what everyone or anyone else thinks you should be. Be what you want to be in the way that you want it. Our lives are not meant to be spent trying to be the best whatevers, but by being true to what means the most to you. You can do it!!! I have faith in you.

Luv

Anne